Winter is almost here, and grazing those winter crops is just around the corner. Here's some things to consider now...
- Finalise break fence planning, check power, count reels and standards - are there enough for long, narrow crop breaks?
- Set up portable troughs and plan for trough movements to follow the crop face
- Check numbers of bales placed in paddocks and run off areas and consider options to place more if necessary, and if still possible
- Protect critical source areas (‘CSAs’; low lying gullies, swamp and swales). Fence these off now ready for winter.
- Start grazing furthest away from CSAs and graze downhill towards CSAs
- Finalise winter storm management plans, including access to sheltered run-off areas
For more tips, check out our article on managing new pastures.